“You are the average of the five people that you associate with most” – Jim Rohn
The quote is short and sweet, right to the point. Who you hang around matters. What influences you surround yourself with matters.
Many of us learned this as children. You are who you hang around, for better or worse.
Join me on today’s episode of THE UNSTOPPABLE LIFE as I break down not only the truth found within this phrase, but just as importantly an exercise to help you best apply it to your life!
Here’s the short version: Get some paper or get your notes app and write down the following in order.
- The 5 people you spend you associate with the most (not just physically present with but influences like authors, books, podcasts, etc… as well)
- What kind of person do I want to be? What are the qualities you want to possess? (to be healthy, express a remarkable faith, succeed at business dealings, competence, good with people, make wise decisions, disciplined)
- What are the 3 primary qualities (good or bad) that I see in those 5 people? (lazy, fun, good listener, complainer, cheater, smart, could be anything)
- Do their qualities match who I want to become? Do they elevate me or bring me down?
- Who are the top 5 people who embody the qualities I desire? (could be known by you or not, living or dead)
- How can I increase my contact with them? (Direct contact, exposed to products of their work, visualize being with them)
You can make significant changes in your life and an enormous factor in your ability to do so has to do with the company you keep, the influences you place around yourself.
Who are yours? Are they bringing you up or down? Closer to your goals or further away?
Take some time this week and listen in to the show and begin to take a hard look at the company you keep.
As always, the choice is yours. May you do what must be done to live an UNSTOPPABLE LIFE!